Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Building The Alphabet

Justin has loved letters since he was about 19 months old.  Right now he is frustrated that his fine motor skills are not good enough to write letters and words the way he wants them to look.  I found some pages from a Handwriting Without Tears workbook that I had from when I was teaching.  I didn't have the wooden sticks that go with it though.  I solved the problem by making some out of cardstock and laminating them for durability.  In one of my classrooms I know I used cheap vinyl placemats to make the pieces that I needed since we didn't have enough of the wooden ones.  I have also seen people sell them on ebay for reasonable prices.
Once I showed him what to do and told him to look at the numbers to know what order to put the pieces in, he had a fun time with the activity.  Of course he wanted to show me after he built each letter.  That meant the activity didn't really buy me any time away from him, but maybe in the future.
I figured that I needed four big lines, 3 short lines, 2 big curves, and 2 little curves, but I made extra pieces while I was at it.  That way if I lose one or two I am still okay.  It also means that TB can work along side his brother, which of course he wants to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment