Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

We haven't been having normal school for awhile.  We all have colds and I was without my voice for two days.  That makes it kind of hard.  We did some of our projects though, which both boys enjoyed.
These are the scissors that I have been having Justin use.  (I have no idea why blogger keeps rotating this picture sideways, but I suppose it doesn't matter.)  The top pair are Fiskars and the bottom are from the dollar store.  They both spring back open after you squeeze them together to cut.  It makes cutting a little bit easier while you are learning.  The dollar store ones convert to regular scissors simply by folding up the little yellow thingy.  J cuts with regular scissors too, but I find these make things go faster and easier.  What you can't really tell in this picture is that I use a yellow highlighter to show Justin where he is supposed to cut.  Sometimes he gets confused when there are too many lines and he is concentrating on the cutting process.
I also had him do this color word sheet.  He can read his color words, but obviously staying inside the lines is not a priority.  He knows that is what people are supposed to do, but says he doesn't want to.  Whatever.  He is three.  Save something for him to learn in kindergarten, right?  Plus no one will accuse me of doing the work for him!  I love the way he colored orange AFTER yellow and then complained that when orange goes over yellow you can't see the yellow anymore.  Hmmm... maybe if he stayed in the lines...

We painted some paper sacks to give to people as Halloween treat bags.  I had each boy make three jack-o-lanterns.  I had the pumpkins cut along with the stems and face parts.  They had fun and got in some good gluing practice.  Just a dot, not a lot!

We made larger ones as well.  These were for decorations.  They are very unique.  The pattern I have was originally for a Halloween glyph that we did in kindergarten, but I didn't have them do the glyph, just make the pumpkin men.


I am very pleased that Justin seems to be able to sequence pictures without any difficulty.  He is even able to tell the "story" once he has them in place.  Yay!  I know this can be a hard skill for some children and I thought that my unobservant child might not notice subtle differences in the pictures.  He sure doesn't notice major things in life!

 We also had some fun with play dough.  Being the mean mom that I am, I didn't get out the press because I didn't want to have to clean it after they were done.  They had fun with the other tools and with the straws and sticks I let them stick in.  I didn't give them feathers like my mom does.  Just not feeling like it is worth the extra work.
We also did some finger painting.  Justin loved mixing colors.  Ryan hated getting it on his hands.  He said it was a mess.  This from the kid who eats yogurt with his hand when he drops his spoon.  Oh well. 

We started a children's version of the New Testament.  I thought it would be good to get it started now and then at Christmas we can play with our Fisher Price nativity set and already have that story down.  Last year Justin was a bit creative with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment