Monday, June 14, 2010

Strike!

I made a bowling set for the boys because Justin kept begging for one.  It wasn't hard to make, but it took awhile for me to get it done.  I did, after all, have to drink 10 bottles of Coke Zero for the bowling pins. The sacrifices I make for my children. :)  Once the bottles were collected, I made sure they were clean and ripped the labels off.  I am sure that my boys saw this step as unnecessary, but I figured if we were going to keep them for any length of time they should be clean and not growing stuff inside of them.  I decided to go one step further and put colored bands around them.  I cut strips of red, yellow, and blue cardstock and taped them (glue gun needs more glue sticks) around the bottle.  I figure that this way I can expand the game to ask Ryan to bring me a bottle with a certain color on it.  It could also give Justin the opportunity to count how many of each color he knocks down and then add to find the total.  He can also compare colors of the bottles knocked down and practice using words like more, most, and fewer.  You knew I would try to take a fun game and ruin it, didn't you?
As it turns out, they really enjoy bowling as long as I set up the pins. :(  Ryan takes a bit of a different approach and attacks the pins from above.  That's okay too.  The boys, however, have the most fun picking up the bottles and banging them together, banging them on things, or using them to attack each other as they run through the house screaming.  Oh well.  They are lightweight and inexpensive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment