Thursday, April 29, 2010

Hickory Dickory Dock Clock

Ryan and Justin enjoyed our Jack Jump Over the Candlestick and our Row, Row, Row Your Boat activities, so I proposed we do something for Hickory Dickory Dock.  I knew that I had a clock art project from when I taught kindergarten.

I decided to just draw the clock rather than trace it.  I used crayon to make nice thick lines.  Justin cut out the brown clock body and the white rectangle all by himself!  I was quite impressed.  I cut out the pendulum, clock hands, and face of the clock.  Those are a bit tricker and he was tired from working so hard on his parts.

I printed out the numbers 1-12 and gave them to Justin to place on the clock.  I had him look at a clock and told him to put on the 12, 6, 3, and 9 first.  I was so thrilled with how well his project turned out that I decided to laminate it.  The clock was too long for my laminate pouches, so I used 1 1/2 of them.  I was nervous that it wouldn't work, but it did. :)

I taped the back of the clock to a shoebox so that it could stand up.  I made a paper mouse with a string tail and Justin was set.  He could now act out the nursery rhyme.  He loved it, but wanted to know where the other animals are.  His book has an animal for each hour.  I used my Boardmaker software to print out the other animals that are in the story.  They store nicely inside the shoebox when they are not being used.  Of course Ryan likes it too.  They will just have to share because we really don't need two of them around the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment